Institutionalised racism = charging someone with felony aggravated assault for pointing a gun at their white girlfriend but allowing them to walk free after the MURDER of a black teenager.
- Black Girls Rock! is necessary because when you Google “beautiful women,” this is what you see.
- Because when you look at the covers of Vogue, this is what you see.
- Because when Vanity Fair printed their Hollywood issue, they put the black actresses on the back cover.
- Because when a dark-skinned woman is put on the cover of a magazine, this is what is done to her.
- Because Pixar has never made a movie featuring a black cartoon character.
- Because a black actress has never won a drama series Lead Actress Emmy. (Although Kerry Washington will change that, I am certain.)
- Because in 39 years, only three black women have been part of the cast of SNL.
- Because, until Scandal, the only real place you could find black women in leading roles on television was The Real Housewives of _______.
- Because the “first black Disney Princess” was a frog for 95 percent of the movie.
I would just like to give a nice shout out to the writers of Sleepy Hollow and BBC 3 Some Girls.
I like most black women viewership don’t see ourselves on screen. If we do black women are cast as a plot devices (TVD, Twisted) a prop (Glee, True Blood) or a sex slave (Scandal). We rarely see…